Saturday, March 16, 2013

Colors of a Portrait...DNA of color

I have been thinking hard about the best colors to use for a portrait and realised that there are no best for me...it is all in the combination and the application.  When I apply colors with a spatula , it stays exactly the same as when it is mixed on the palette.  Lately, I've been liking that....layering the pure mixtures one over the other. Painting is a bit like cooking...colors are the spices...that is putting it lightly:)

I have noticed that each person has a completely different color combination, and that is why I save all the palettes...no two are the same. It is like the DNA of color....in this case the colors would be the DNA.  So painting is more like science.  Everything is science, even inspiration!

The one thing I have to find is the perfect final varnish that will protect the oils or the mix-medias and give them the shine some people love.  But I sometimes like to leave them unvarnished, with the matte, natural look.  Why does an artist have to think of everything...I wish someone else would varnish the paintings.

I love working on a deep green background...it really brings out flesh tones like in the new portrait of BGB....Here I am trying to do paperwork and thinking of painting.  Everything is piling up...the day is sunny....new watercolors are coming soon....but there are chores at hand!

I'm using the American spelling of color in this since it makes the spellcheck happy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment