Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Portraits again!

I think that at one time I had sworn off portraits so that I could concentrate on the big paintings...and here I am doing them again.  As they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same!  I've done so many portraits in the past, friends, family, famous people, soon to be famous people, etc....and now I'm back at it again.  I guess I never really stopped....even my big paintings are portraits...The one of M is giving me the biggest challenge because of her subtleness which hides an inner fire....so I should capture that as a glow...because the fire would be too strong, yet the expressionistic edge of the orange and blue mixture are necessary to the painting. Must work on it tomorrow.  Yesterday, I erased everything I did in a fit of insecurity, before anyone could see  it.  Now, even I wish to have looked at it for a bit before deciding to smudge it out.  That is the thing with oils...a new layer can be completely lifted if it is still wet.  In this case, there is still some left, and by tomorrow everything will be dry, (because of the medium), and ready for a new layer.

The portrait of Mr. B. is finished and I added some writing which defines him.  I took all of V's advice, as to make him seem kindlier...less feigned arrogance...more sparkle in the eyes..., so now, kindliness is the first expression that comes to mind when viewing it, at least that's what S said. K thought that he looks preoccupied, but in a good way!  Ah portraits!...one face holds a thousand expressions, and I search and find the one which tells them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment